Bike groupsets guide
The bike groupset typically comprises the parts involved in moving and stopping the bicycle: brake/shifter levers, a crankset, brake calipers, bike bottom bracket, front and rear derailleurs, bike chain and all the cables to suit the brake and gear system. Shimano, SRAM, and Campagnolo are the biggest manufacturers of groupsets and the majority of today’s bicycles will have their parts. They produce a number of models ranging greatly in performance and price. No wonder the price of the groupset is second to the price of the bike frame which directly influences the price of the bicycle.
Investing in a high-end model of bike groupset carries several advantages:
- First, it will keep the bike lighter in weight,
- Second, performances will be much improved. Combined with those two, no one has still regretted spending money on a good groupset.
- Next, also important is that producers put new products on market almost every year. Lately, groupsets have been evolving every 5-6 years, so one should keep in mind this fact, because it may not be easy to find spare parts in several years.
- Also, big mileage wears and tears parts and components over time. Harsh weather, too. Changing a whole bike for a new one is not always a solution. It is worth pointing out here that maintenance can add up to half a price of a new groupset. Sometimes it pays to change the whole groupset for a better and newer model, than to change individual parts.
- Keep in mind the cost of replacement, should you choose to buy a new groupset. Time it to be included in the annual maintenance visit to a service, so that you can save on extra cost for installation.
Again, the list of replacement parts can vary though, mainly because of the diversity in groupsets models. However, always do your homework and research before making an order to buy.
Take a look at our offer
At Velo Deals you will find the best deals on leading bike groupsets on the market Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo.
If you have any questions regarding the purchase of your brand-new bike groupset feel free to contact us and we will be more than ready to assist you!